This class is designed to help real estate professionals interrupt stereotypical thinking so they can avoid fair housing pitfalls and provide equal, professional service to every customer or client. Participants will examine the history of bias in real estate, learn about the mind science of identity, study how implicit bias can result in fair housing violations, and engage in interactive exercises to enhance communication skills and business relationships with clients of all backgrounds.
After successfully completing this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Describe the history of bias and discrimination in real estate to understand how neighborhoods became segregated and appreciate the challenges many consumers still face because of their identities.
- Explain how implicit bias may result in violations of Fair Housing laws and industry ethics.
- Identify interventions to prevent implicit bias, identity anxiety, and stereotype threat from influencing behavior so that consumers are treated with equal concern, respect, and fairness.
- Tuesday, September 19 | 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Approved for 3 Fair Housing Core CE Credits
- Early Bird: $30/person (Until Friday, September 8)
- Regular: $50/person (After Friday, September 8)
- Includes breakfast, printed certificate, and NAR / MREC course credit processing fees.
Register for Bias Override: Overcoming Barriers to Fair Housing when you register for the Fall Business Conference.
Nate Johnson, ABR, CIPS, CRS, GRI, SRES
President, Real Estate Solutions Group at Redkey Realty Leaders
Nate is the President of Real Estate Solutions Group at Red Key Realty Leaders, a full-service residential real estate group with a commitment to helping clients achieve their real estate goals. In addition to helping buyers and sellers achieve their real estate goals for nearly 24 years, Nate has been speaking to groups around the country, large and small, for over a dozen years. He is passionate about educating his clients so they are prepared to make good real estate decisions and through teaching and training, helping REALTORS® and communities become the best version of themselves.
Past President, Missouri REALTORS®
Nate has served in a variety of leadership roles such as President for both St. Louis and Missouri REALTORS®. He is the past Chairman of the Smart Growth Advisory Board and Sustainability Advisory Group for the National Association of REALTORS®.