The newly reimagined NAR NXT conference recently concluded and as always, Missouri REALTORS® have a lot to be proud of. With thousands of REALTORS® throughout the nation participating in-person and virtually, NAR NXT is the nation’s largest real estate event attended by top real estate professionals. The theme for this year’s event was “READY. SET. GROW.” Throughout the event, several Missouri REALTORS® were recognized for their contributions to the real estate industry. Congratulations to the following individuals:
- To kick off the week, our very own Michelle Walker graduated from NAR’s Leadership Academy. Congratulations, Michelle!
- Past President Janet Rodriguez Judd was inducted into the Real Estate Buyers Agent Council (REBAC) Hall of Fame! As one of less than 30,000 REBAC members throughout the country, Judd received this recognition due to her dedication to buyer representation focused on client needs and wishes, skills based on training, competency and experiences, and commitment to the advancement of buyer representation and its practice.
- Dennis Curtin was recognized as a 2022 National Association of REALTORS® Good Neighbor Award winner. Curtin was recognized for his work with Mimi’s Pantry, a nonprofit dedicated to providing food for individuals and families facing food insecurity. As part of this achievement, Curtin’s charity received $10,000. Learn more about Curtin’s story by visiting Adding Hope to the Grocery List.
- Bob (Robert) Bax was honored as Missouri’s 2022 REALTOR® of the Year during Saturday’s General Session!
- And lastly, we would like to extend a very special shoutout to Kansas City REALTOR® Stacey Johnson-Cosby for serving as a voice for our industry during the recent NAR NXT conference. Throughout this event, Stacey led three sessions promoting volunteerism, real estate investment, and generational wealth. To learn more about Stacey and these sessions, visit: https://narnxt.realtor/speaker/stacey-johnson-cosby/
We hosted our annual Missouri Reception and Missouri Caucus during the event. These activities are a great place for Missouri REALTORS® in attendance to network and discuss current issues. This year, Missouri was also tasked with hosting the Region 9 Caucus and reception – a collaboration of the Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, and Oklahoma state associations. This meeting provided an opportunity for open discussion among members regarding upcoming actions at the board of directors meeting, including brief highlights of recent and upcoming happenings from partner state association presidents. Serving as the 2022 Region 9 RVP, we would like to extend our gratefulness to Brenda Oliver for her dedication to this group.
NAR’s Board of Directors met on Monday, November 14. The main topic of discussion was related to Article 10 of the Code of Ethics, specific to replacing the term “handicap” with “disability.” This change was approved by the NAR Delegate Body and will go into effect on January 1, 2023.
You can read more about this update to the Article 10 Code of Ethics and review additional actions discussed by visiting the Board of Directors’ Special Report.
Additional issues addressed at the Board of Directors’ meeting include:
- YPN Term Limits (Finance Committee Representative)
- MLS Policy | “Statewide Data Share”
- Real estate valuations
- Appraisal Qualifications | Broader range of education and experience alternatives
- Down Payment Assistance programs
- Special Purpose Credit programs
- Update NAR’s current policy on water resources
- Creation of a REALTOR® Fund for Global Assistance
- Master policy specific to the professional liability insurance program
- Funding approved to support private property rights related to short-term rentals
- Amendment to Standard of Practice 3-9 of the Code of Ethics
As always, we would like to thank our members that served on a NAR Committee in 2022. Your service to our industry is greatly appreciated.
CEO, Missouri REALTORS®